So many people in so many fields have lost their jobs as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic and are left wondering what now? If your English competence is an Advanced (C1) level and you like working with people, you might consider a career in English teaching. English is a commodity in today’s world. In fact, a recent OECD report noted a global shortage of English teachers. The work is out there. What are you waiting for?
It isn’t enough to be able to speak the language to teach it. Teaching requires command of both the content and sound methodological practices. This means that if you are thinking about becoming an English as a Foreign Language (EFL) or an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, you need to know the mechanics of the language, its grammatical, lexical and phonological systems but you also need specific competence in teaching, or pedagogical practice. What is the best way to get both quickly to start a career as an EFL or ESL teacher? A teaching qualification is a good place to start, but which one?
There are several qualifications out there for people looking for a certification as an EFL or ESL teacher. The most popular first qualifications for a pre-service teacher are:
There are endless reasons why CELTA is the better qualfication, and we don’t say this just because Globally Speaking is a Teacher Training Centre qualified to offer the Certificate of English Teachers for Adults (CELTA). Here are some of the reasons why we are a CELTA Centre rather than a TEFL centre:
- CELTA is a Cambridge Assessment English Qualification and Cambridge is a guarantee of quality in Assessment
- CELTA is recognized worldwide and is the preferred qualification of employers in the English Language Teaching field
- The CELTA course structure allows trainees to gradually build their knowledge around the English language as well as their teaching competence
- CELTA Tutors are highly qualified, experienced teachers and they are trained to give trainees the support they need to do their very best on the course
- The CELTA course offers teachers-in-training the opportunity to interact not only with live students at lower and higher levels but also plenty of opportunities for peer interaction and support.
Still in doubt? If you have any questions about what is involved in the CELTA, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.